Dry Eye Relief at Eye-Site of Boynton Beach
When dry eye symptoms hit, working on a computer, driving, or reading can seem like impossible tasks. That's why our optometry team is ready to help. At Eye-Site of Boynton Beach, we offer the testing and treatment options patients need for long-lasting relief from dry eyes.
What Causes Dry Eye?
Your eyes are protected and moisturized by a thin film of tears. When your body doesn't make enough tears or produces poor-quality tears, the outer surface of your eyes can become dry and irritated. We call this phenomenon dry eye or dry eye syndrome. Dry eye syndrome can occur due to a number of factors and conditions, including:
- Improper contact lens wear and care
- Weather and climate (especially cold, windy, or dry weather)
- Excessive screen time in front of a computer, smartphone, or television. Blinking helps refresh the tear film over your eyes, and we tend to blink less often while using digital devices
- Allergic reactions to pet dander, certain medications, cosmetics, or environmental factors like mold, pollen, dust, smoke, and pollution
- Surgery or trauma affecting the eye
- Dysfunction of the glands which make oil that is typically secreted into tears and prevents them from evaporating too quickly
- Certain health conditions, including autoimmune disorders like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and Sjogren's syndrome
Symptoms of Dry Eye
Dry eye symptoms can range from mildly irritating to severely disruptive. The most common signs of dry eye syndrome we see at our clinic include:
- Red, itchy, dry eyes
- Watery discharge from the eyes that can dry out and crust up on eyelids and lashes
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights and glare
- Blurry vision
- Swelling around the eyes
How Our Optometrists Can Help
Since various issues can cause dry eye, the best thing to do if you or a loved one has dry eye symptoms is to schedule a professional assessment. Our Boynton Beach optometrist team can help by:
- Determining the underlying cause of your dry eye, using a comprehensive eye exam, lab tests, etc.
- Providing oral or eye dropper medications to alleviate symptoms and restore moisture to the eyes
- Offering lifestyle guidance for at-home relief, including cool or warm compresses and updated prescription eyewear
Your dry eye plan of care will be customized to your needs and help you avoid complications like corneal scratches and eye infections, which can come from itching your eyes.
Visit Us for Your Next Eye Exam in Boynton Beach, FL
Don't let dry eye symptoms keep you from participating in daily life. Contact Eye-Site of Boynton Beach today at (561) 738-0111 to schedule an eye exam with one of our optometrists.